Tuesday, May 19, 2009

THE LAST OF THE MOCHICANS


“You be strong, you survive…
You stay alive, no matter what occurs! I will find you.
No matter how long it takes, no matter how far,
I will find you.”
Hawkeye, The Last of the Mochicans

Words that will melt the hearts of even the hardest rock!

War and tragedy doesn’t get much better than this, big, bold and gloriously sweeping. One of my all time favorites which I can watch over and over, yet time after time I find myself in tears (I think it might have been the onions I chopped up for dinner!) and having my heart ripped out. Yes it has its traditional heroes and lovers, but it also reveals a thoughtful and complex "villain" driven by this hatred towards the Europeans and what he sees then doing to his people and for that he despises them for it. The more I watch it the more I understand and it is his malevolent passion that burns the brightest in the end. When everyone has lost there really can’t be a winner.

E.P.I.C

image: Morgan Creek Productions

No comments: