Thursday, April 30, 2009

WHY?


“Every search begins with beginners luck and an end with the victor’s being severely tested.”

Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist


This is a big year for me. A year in which one door will hopefully close and another will finally open. I just need to stop procrastinating! Recently I have come across the world of blogging and it has been one of my favourite time wasters. Time that should be better spent, like actually preparing for my upcoming thesis!!! However if I am going to procrastinate I might as well have something come of it. I am a very reserved person, which would come as a big surprise to many of those who know me. I rarely give a piece of myself away. In fact I can safely say that there is no one who really knows all the pieces of me that are scattered about. So I have decided to start my own blog that will bring together all these pieces and make them whole. The frivolous me, the eccentric me, the geek in me... A place for me to be me, the real me.


"All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies, one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language; and every chapter must be so translated...As therefore the bell that rings to a sermon, calls not upon the preacher only, but upon the congregation to come: so this bell calls us all: but how much more me, who am brought so near the door by this sickness....No man is an island, entire of itself...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

John Donne (1572-1631), Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions, Meditation XVII

No comments: